
Rollins Defends Trump Beef Import Decision
August 22, 2026
U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Brooke Rollins is defending President Donald Trump’s decision to temporarily increase tariff-free beef imports, saying the move is intended to provide short-term relief for consumers while the administration continues working to rebuild the U.S. cattle herd.
In remarks to reporters at the Iowa State Fair, captured by Brownfield Ag News, Rollins addressed the beef import announcement following pushback from cattle producers and industry organizations.
President Trump announced Friday that the United States will allow up to 300,000 metric tons of beef to be imported tariff-free over the next 90 days. The administration says the move is intended to help lower ground beef prices for American families.
Rollins said affordability remains a major concern for the president, particularly for families who rely on ground beef as a source of protein.

“We’re going to move in about 300,000 metric tons of just ground beef from other countries so that we can get a 25 percent decrease for families,” Rollins said. “Usually, lower-income families rely on ground beef. He wanted to make that move for the American consumer.”
Rollins acknowledged the announcement came at a time when many in the cattle industry were not prepared for the move.
“I don’t want to say unexpected, because I think the president has been talking about it for a long time, but it did come at a time when I think a lot of people weren’t prepared for it,” she said.
Still, Rollins made clear that as Trump’s agriculture secretary, she stands behind the president’s decision.
“I, of course, am the president’s secretary of agriculture. He hears from me a lot on all of these issues,” Rollins said. “But once a decision is made, I understand the decision and defend the decision, and look forward to continuing to rebuild the herd.”
Rollins also put the 300,000 metric tons into context by pointing to the administration’s restrictions on Mexican cattle due to New World screwworm.
She said more than one million head of cattle that otherwise could have entered the United States remained south of the border during the restrictions.
“What that 300,000 metric tons represents—that the president announced this morning—is about 500,000 head of cattle,” Rollins said. “So, we’re still 500,000 head of cattle less today than we would have been if we’d kept the ports open.”
Rollins stressed that the imports are intended to be lean beef used for ground beef rather than higher-value whole-muscle cuts.
“And this is all lean, right? So, it’s not the really good cuts that America is so good for,” she said.
Despite the short-term import decision, Rollins said increasing domestic cattle numbers remains critical to the administration’s long-term strategy.
“Unless we rebuild our beef herd, we will become more and more reliant on foreign countries to feed and fuel ourselves,” Rollins said. “And that is, as I’ve mentioned, an absolute no-go as we’re working to bring all of this back to America.”
Rollins said she continues to communicate cattle producers’ concerns and market information directly to Trump.
“My commitment is this: I will never stop battling for our farmers and our ranchers and ensuring that our president fully has every data point and detail that he needs to understand,” she said.
Rollins also pointed to strong consumer demand for beef and other proteins as a positive signal for producers.
“In the last year, we’ve seen a 10 percent increase in purchases, even with the prices, which would tell you that people are willing to pay these prices for great American beef and for proteins to put on their plate,” Rollins said.
“The future for American ranchers and for beef has never been brighter.”
The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and U.S. Cattlemen’s Association are among the cattle organizations strongly criticizing the administration’s decision.
NCBA said increasing imports could undermine market confidence at a time when cattle producers are beginning to make decisions about rebuilding the nation’s historically tight cattle herd.
“No cow-calf producer in America is asking for increased imports,” NCBA said in a statement. “Undercutting American farmers and ranchers with products from foreign competitors does nothing to create market confidence or encourage rebuilding the herd.”
The organization argues current retail beef prices are being driven in large part by strong consumer demand for U.S. beef and said producers need stability to make long-term investments in herd expansion.
“Unlike spur-of-the-moment trading decisions made based on White House social media posts, the decisions and investments ranchers make in their herds are made YEARS in advance, not days or weeks,” NCBA said.
NCBA also accused the administration of using the 90-day policy to influence consumer prices ahead of the midterm elections, saying the announcement is “100% about the 74 days between now and the midterm elections.”
The U.S. Cattlemen’s Association also criticized the announcement, warning that a sudden increase in tariff-free imports could pressure cattle prices and discourage producers from expanding their herds.
“You don’t put America first by putting U.S. cattle producers last,” USCA President Justin Tupper said. “This move will weaken our markets and gamble with food safety in the process.”
USCA said there is no guarantee additional imported beef will translate into lower retail prices for consumers. The organization also raised concerns about the timing of the imports, particularly as many cow-calf producers prepare to market calves this fall.
Tupper said cattle producers have endured years of low cattle prices and uncertainty and should be allowed to respond to current market signals without additional government intervention.
“U.S. ranchers have endured years of low cattle prices and trade uncertainty, and now they are being used as pawns in a 90-day political timeline,” Tupper said.
USCA also questioned where the additional beef will originate, which countries could receive tariff relief and exactly which beef products would qualify under the administration’s plan.
Audio of Secretary Rollins’ remarks courtesy of Brownfield Ag News.
Source: Western Ag Network