Wildfire Recovery Assistance

September 11, 2020

USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) offers disaster assistance and low-interest loan programs to assist farmers and ranchers in your recovery efforts following wildfires or other qualifying natural disasters.

Available programs and loans include:

  • Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) - offers payments to eligible producers for livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality as well as injured livestock that were sold at a reduced price due to adverse weather.
  • Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) - provides emergency relief for losses due to feed or water shortages, disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, which are not adequately addressed by other disaster programs.
  • Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) - provides emergency funding for farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate land severely damaged by natural disasters; includes fence loss.
  • Emergency Loan Program – available to producers with agriculture operations located in a county under a primary or contiguous Presidential or Secretarial disaster designation. These low interest loans help producers recover from production and physical losses.
  • Emergency Forest Restoration Program (EFRP) – provides payments to owners of non-industrial private forests to restore disaster damaged forests.
  • Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) - provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur due to natural disasters including excessive wind and qualifying drought (includes native grass for grazing).
  • Tree Assistance Program (TAP) – provides assistance to eligible orchardists and nursery tree growers for qualifying tree, shrub and vine losses due to natural disasters including excessive wind and qualifying drought.

USDA Disaster Recovery Assistance Brochure is available HERE.

For more information on these programs, contact your local FSA office or visit farmers.gov/recover.

Source: USDA FSA